Meidyn's Journey Home

This is the journey, from beginning to end, of how we got our daughter home. We have not met her, she may not even be born... but she's already found a way into our hearts.

Saturday, November 22, 2008

8 days and counting!

So I think we are actually going to be able to pull it all together. We are just about packed, paperwork is done but needs to be copied. I have a "final" list of what we need to do before we leave and it looks doable (is that a word?) One small snag, I have an ear infection!! How on earth does a 32 year old get an ear infection. I didn't even know this was possible but it hasn't been feeling quite right for a couple of weeks so I went to the Dr and he said I have fluid in my ears??? He gave me antibiotic and told me to take decongestant to help avoid my eardrum from rupturing in flight. Now that sounds pleasant! He said it may or may not clear up in time so he gave me extra antibiotics and said good luck! So if you hear rumor of a half deaf women wondering around Addis Ababa looking for pain medication don't worry, It's just me! Today my family and I are going to the Ethiopian restaurant to celebrate! Should be exciting, whether I can hear or not!

2 Comments:

At 7:41 AM, Blogger Sam's mom said...

Make sure you have a lot of gum with you. Chew it during take off and landing and throughout the flight. It will equalize the pressure in your inner ear and make rupture less likely.
Woo-hoo!! I was just able to give real advice as opposed to my usual "I know everything will work out" and "Ayana is so gorgeous" comments!

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Jill said...

Good advice on the gum. Also, make sure to take the decongestant about an hour before take-off, so your ear will be clearing (and probably before landing too since it will have worn off by then). And take some dramamine...if your eardrum ruptures (highly unlikely but possible) the pain will only be momentary but you will get very dizzy (the meclizine in the dramimine--there are two kids so you have to read the labels--is the same med as the prescription antivert that they give for vertigo)...I get ear infections several times a year and have flown with one. Nothing bad happened but better to be prepared.

Happy travels...so exciting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page
Click here to join FL_familieswithethiopianchildren
Click to join FL_familieswithethiopianchildren
a href="http://easyhitcounters.com/stats.php?site=meidyn" target="_top">
Website Counter